Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Five Intersecting Tetrahedra

Sometimes you come across an object on the internet that makes you want to have it yourself. My reaction when I first saw the Five Intersecting Tetrahedra: Wanna wanna wanna!! Second reaction: how on earth am I gonna make one???

Thanks to this helpful tutorial and this video on YouTube I managed to assemble a F.I.T. :-D
It took me two hours to cut and fold the paper in the 30 units needed to make one and about two frustrating weeks to figure out how the triangles should be weaved in each other. The first two triangles are easy to weave, the third and forth triangles proved to be the challenges. The fifth and last triangle is a piece of cake once you've got the other four in correct place.

But I've done it! Without cheating by using glue! After the first F.I.T., I've made two more of the same seize (I used paper seize 15x15 cm). And because of my love for all things that are small, I made a F.I.T. using paper seize 5x5 cm. This one I did have to glue or else the triangles would fall apart. Looking at the mini F.I.T. I'm still amazed I pulled that off... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment